If you've got 5-6 hours in Anchorage, DON'T stay at the airport! Anchorage is a major hub for most of Alaska and even some International destinations such as Iceland, Germany, and Japan. It's not that uncommon to have a half days delay in Alaska's largest city.
Here's a quick guide on what to do for your layover:
What to Wear
Travel day is always meant to be comfortable, especially when traveling within Alaska as it can be an all day venture. I like to travel with a versatile outfit, one that I can be at a restaurant grabbing lunch, and one that is warm and cozy for the airplane.
Temperatures can range between 10 Degrees and 30 Degrees Fahrenheit, layers are key!
- DL1961 denim as it is so incredibly comfortable it's easy to cozy up on the plane, and they look and fit great.
- Runaway Tank for under my hoodie.
- Double Hooded Sweatshirt.
- Light and packable down jacket .
- Wool socks.
- Sorrels since I traveled in November and wanted an overall boot that was good for exploring, style, and keeping my feet warm and dry!
- Light mittens.
How to Play
Anchorage is a central location to all sorts of activities! And depending how much time you have, you can do anything from lunch and getting your nails done, to a quick drive either up to Wasilla or Palmer, or south along the Seward Highway for an ocean drive.
- Take a taxi downtown and explore.
- Rent a car! In the winter months you can get great deals since it is "off season." Drive north, Wasilla and Palmer are about 45 minutes away. The photos below were taken just before reaching Wasilla and Palmer on the Eklutna Exit. You can also drive south to Girdwood where Alyeska Ski Area is, about 45 minutes. The more time you have, the further south I recommend! If I had a full 24hrs I'd rush down to Homer!
- Go to the Middle Way Cafe for a casual and delicious breakfast.
- Get lunch/dinner at the Crow's Nest in the Captain Cook Hotel, dress to impress, the views are killer.
- Shop at REI for any last minute outdoor gear!
All photos were taken by Sydney Akagi Photography who is based out of Juneau, Alaska.