Alaska Festivals are truly a unique experience, you never know WHO will come out of the woodwork to have a good time! Here is a list of events happening throughout spring, summer, and fall!
My personal favorites are the Spring Carnivals, Solstice, 3rd/4th of July, and the Haines State Fair. I've heard really great things about Beer Fest in Haines, Anchorage State Fair, and Salmon Fest and hope to attend these soon!
- Folk Fest in Juneau - Usually the second weekend of April, this event brings musicians from all around the Northwest to join in on a concert series! Brave enough to sign up for an act?!
- May Fest in Petersburg - No doubt the best Viking and Norwegian tribute and festival in all of Alaska! Come to drink, be merry, and dress like a Scandinavian Warrior! A four day event encompassing May 17th, the Norwegian Constitution Day. A celebration of Petersburg's founding heritage, this celebration features parades, Norwegian dishes, fresh seafood buffets, games, dancing and other Norwegian festivities.
- Martime Festival in Juneau - Free event to celebrate Juneau's maritime history and culture, put on by the Coast Gaurd in Downtown Juneau.
- Great Alaska Craft Beer & Home Festival in Haines - Memorial Day weekend Beer brought in from around the state, as well as a homebrewers compettition and tasting. Come taste test beer brewed from around the State, and slide down the MASSIVE slip n' slide set up at Fort Seward.
- Spring Carnivals in Juneau & Sitka - a Traveling Carnival comes for two weekends of fun to both Juneau and Sitka!
- Gold Rush Days in Juneau - Usually the second weekend of June. A tribute to Juneau's early history and the start of the last great Gold Rush! Games, food, and music all centered around the turn of the century techniques.
- Solstice all around the State - Celebrating the longest day of the year! Find beach bonfires, downtown shenanigans, and day time activities that last into the midnight sun!
- Midnight Sun Festival in Fairbanks - An attendance of over 30,000 people coming to the streets for festivities!
- Barrow Whaling Festival - A way to give thanks to whaling season! Dates can vary (but usually around solstice or the third week in Juneau, for exact dates contact the Top of the World Hotel).
- 3rd of July in Juneau - Who doesn't love the 4th of July? Juneau moved it up an evening so the celebrations could last longer! Head downtown for fireworks and chaos.
- 4th of July all around the State - Fishermen come home, CNN brings in helicopters to film, and even Canadians cross over to celebrate with us! Games, celebrations, activities, and all sorts of fun can be expected throughout the entire day!
- Girdwood Forest Festival - A free festival around the first or second weekend of July. A parade, food, artists and entertainers, a fun family event.
- Alaska State Fair in Haines - The last weekend in July and sometimes going into August, a three day event features carnival rides, live music, beer, and games! Haines is the playground of Alaska, and they throw the best parties!
- Salmon Fest in Homer - The first weekend in August, a music festival for the books! Located in Ninilchik at the Kenai Peninsula Fairgrounds. A three day event that supports the Kachemak Bay Conservation Society, a non profit in the region that promotes fisheries education and promotion.
- Blueberry Festival in Ketchikan - A three day arts festival the first weekend in August featuring local artists, food vendors, games, a boat race and more!
- Alaska State Fair in Anchorage - Usually the last weekend in August, crossing over into September, this is Alaska's BIGGEST fair! Nationally acclaimed music artists, vendors, games and more! A fair you don't want to miss!
- Capital Brewfest in Juneau - Brews, bands, and food at the top of Mount Roberts! This is a fairly new festival costing about $30/ticket or $5 if you're the designated driver!
What to wear
Layers if you're planning to attend an event outside and when the sun isn't shining! Although a cute top and great fitting jeans are always a good idea! Below is a collection I've put together for Alaska Festivals!